Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jaerus: Chapter 3 - Conjuration

A few knocks heard on the door woke up Jae. “Mister, may I come in?” said a voice outside the door that was most likely responsible for the knocking. He let out a groan as he turned and sat up out of his recovery bed. He walked over to the door and opened it to be looking down on Hylaes’ apprentice, Jalo, who was holding a book in his right hand.
“What do you want?” Jalo didn’t say anything. “Well, what do you want? You didn’t wake me up for the heck of it, did you?”
Jalo quickly spoke up. “No, no, no. Master couldn’t give me my theology lesson today because he was preoccupied with something.”
“No.”
“What? I didn’t even ask you yet!”
“Can’t you just read by yourself? You were taught to read at the academy weren’t you?”
“Well… I’ve only told master about this, but you see… I didn’t learn how to read, I cheated on all the tests… with magic…”
“You’re telling me you know how to script?”
“Err… Yes… That’s why I think I was chosen by the elders and master…”
“Prove it then.”
Jalo busted out in excitement. “Okay! I’ll be right back then.” He then put the book on the ground and avoided a small white dragon that was hiding behind him as he rushed to his room. Jae looked down at the hatchling as his eyes started to tear up. He turned, walked to his bed, and sat down. He wiped his eyes with one of the sheets as the dragon just stared at him.
“What do you want?” Traces of tears were still in his eyes. “Stop looking at me!”

The dragon looked down and as Jalo returned he placed the scrolls and inks he was now carrying on a table in the room. He walked back to the doorway and picked up the history book and motioned for his dragon to come in.
“No, I don’t want him in here with us.” demanded Jae.
“What do you have against Talibus?”
“Nothing, I just don’t want him near me.”
“You had a dragon once…”
“Now I don’t and I don’t want to be near them any more.” interrupted Jae. The dragon’s eyes seemed to almost look as if they were about to cry.
“Why are you like this? He won’t do any harm.”
“Yes, yes he will. I don’t want to have to look at him.” The hatchling turned around and started walking away.
“Don’t go away Tali!” said Jalo as he got up and went after him.

Jalo didn’t return and Jae finally settled back down into his bed once again, but couldn’t fall asleep this time either. He sat up, and shook his head. He then caught a glance of Jalo’s theology book. “Maybe this boring book with send me to sleep.” he breathed to himself. He opened up to the middle of the book. The brown page he landed on was titled Gods’ Effect on History. Uninterested with the piece his random browsing gave him, he flipped to the front so he could start the beginning. He started reading to himself:

The Three
The Three are a collection of Supra-Deities known as: The Patriarch, the Great Spirit, and the Child of the World. Each of these parts is of one larger part known by some as the trinity or the creators. The Patriarch is the lord of laws. He is often depicted as a masculine being but in minor sources he is depicted genderless. By being the lord of laws, the Patriarch has power over all the laws of the universe. To his whim he may manipulate the law of gravity to the point where ones weight will cause them to crumple to the ground. He may also neglect laws so that the impossible can occur. For example, he may simple turn off friction and cause a vehicle to never slop moving. The Patriarch’s angels bare many traits of their father. They may manipulate and neglect laws to a lesser extent. Their mission is to keep the universe in order as well as to keep fair judgment in the world, in addition to following the Patriarch’s orders. The Patriarch is also named the Judgment Bringer by a group of people who interacted with an insane human who said he was from another Universe that was ‘Judged’ to be corrupted. But he never said how it was corrupted. The Great Spirit, also known by many as the Holy Spirit, is often depicted by many to be a genderless force, but some see it more womenly, that works in everyone. But the Erkrein Prophet Therazius stated that the Great Spirit was a single being which had angels. These angels part of the spirit as well are the Angels of the spirit. This deepens the truth about the Great Spirit and how it works. However, there is a lot more we don’t know about it. The Child of the Ground, also known as the Son, is often depicted to be masculine by many cultures. The Child overlooks the faith of the people and works to strengthen it through direct work and indirect work by angels…



Jae flipped through the pages behind it and found it going more into detail about the three and eventually closed the book as he yawned, when Jalo appeared at the doorway. “He isn’t behind you, is he?” asked Jae.
“No.” responded Jalo. “Want me prove to you my scripting skills now?”
“You sort of lost your chance when you didn’t come back for an hour.”
“Please? I’m sorry, I just remembered that I had to do something for master and it had to be done.”
“Nope, you lost your chance. Now get out and take this horrible history book.” he closed the book on the bed and shifted it over towards the edge.
“Oh, come on. It will only take a couple minutes! Please?”
“I said you lost your chance.”
“Please?”
“No.”
“Please?”
“No.”
“Pretty please?”
“NO!”
“Come on!”
“Never.”
“Fine I’ll just start doing it anyway.” Jalo walked over the the table and sat at one of its stoles and opened up one of the ink bottles and started to write on the paper in front of him some runes.
“No you won’t, get out.” He saw that he wasn’t stopping. “Fine!” He got out of bed and looked over Jalo’s shoulder. Jalo had already filled half the paper with runes and was till going at it. “How do you know what the spell will do?” asked Jae.
“Most people don’t realize this, but scripting is just like writing a sentence. Well the sentence you’re writing is just a command instead.”
“What does it command?”
“Master says scripting is directed towards magical energies in the air.” Jae sat still and watched in amazement as Jalo started on another paper. ”I’ll have to connect these papers together in order to make the spell work.”
“What will the spell do?”
“Make a muffin!” Jae saw a wide grin on Jalo’s face.
“You can’t be serious, all that writing just for a muffin?”
“Making physical objects come into being is very high level scripting. Master doesn’t know I can do it…”
“Why don’t you want him to?”
“He wouldn’t let me script anymore then if I did. It is against rider code to create objects by scripting.”
“Why would it be against the rider code?”
“You didn’t study the rules much, did you? They don’t want you to be creating objects since you could mess up and the new object could appear anywhere, say an ax above someone’s head, and cause death or serious injuries. Also, the food you created may be poisonous.”
“I see. So will you eat your muffin when you’re finished?”
“Actually, I just finished.”

Jalo opened a bottle filled with a white liquid and glued the bottom of the first page and the top of the second together with the second page being on top. “I’ve made food before and none have gotten me moderately ill. Now time to activate the spell.” Jalo took what looked like a stamp on a very long stick and dabbed it in ink. He then got up and pressed it after the last line on the second page. “You may want to stand back, spells can often become explosive.” Jalo and Jae quickly walked and hid in the hallway. They watched as each of the runes glowed and destroyed the paper. Above it a small bright light appeared and grew into a perfect sphere. After the light receded, the ball dropped onto the place where the papers had been. It had small blue dots on it and had a base color of a golden brown.

“It worked!” screamed Jalo as a voiced from behind asked,
“What worked?” Jalo turned around to see Hylaes standing behind him.
“Master, you’re back…”
“Yes, I was just coming to see how Jae was doing and it seems the recovery spell worked perfectly on him. Now, Jalo, what worked?”
“Nothing.” The master looked into the room to see the ball on the table.
“You do know it’s against rider policy to conjure, Jalo.”
“I’m, I’m sorry.”
“No, I’m sorry for limiting your skills. I should just kick you out so you can further your conjuring practices.”
“I’m sorry, master, I won’t ever do it again.” said Jalo as he lowered his head.
“You better not. Now go back to your room. I’ll be with you in a moment for a talk.” Jalo nodded and ran into Jae’s room, recovered his things including the book and walked quickly down the hallway while Hylaes and Jae watched him pass.
“Now, Jae, I have something to talk to you about. I just came back from the headquarters where I reported your survival. Many riders wanted to study you; I told them it was your choice.”
“No thanks. I would just like to be left alone.”
“That’s okay, they’ll understand. Now, since you’re no longer a rider, you can’t return to the complex. You’ll have to find somewhere else to sleep. Can you go back to your family?
“My mother’s dead and my father is in the army.”
“You have any other family, aunts, uncles, grandparents?”
“No.”
“Well, you can stay here a little longer while I try to make arrangements with someone. An ex-rider novice will get offered an apprenticeship…”
“I don’t want to learn a profession.”
“Well maybe you could join the army. You’d rise in ranks rather fast, even for someone your age.”
“My father told me of the army and what battles are like. I don’t want to be there.”
“Well, if you think of anything else, let me know.”
“I’ll try to do so.”
“Take care, Jae, I’ll be back sometime later today to check up on you. But for now, I’ve got an apprentice to scold.” He walked down the hallway and took a turn leaving Jae’s line of sight.

Jae got up and walked over to his bed and lied down once again. He stared up at the ceiling and closed his eyes. Soon the blackness engulfed him and then he was asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment